Message Turncoat in a DM to get moderator attention

Users Online(? lurkers):
Posts: 35758
0 votes RE: Video Games

The VR is meant to represent a detachment from reality, which is further reinforced in MGS4. 

Ę̵̚x̸͎̾i̴͚̽s̵̻͐t̷͐ͅe̷̯͠n̴̤̚t̵̻̅i̵͉̿a̴̮͊l̵͍̂ ̴̹̕D̵̤̀e̸͓͂t̵̢͂e̴͕̓c̸̗̄t̴̗̿ï̶̪v̷̲̍é̵͔
Posts: 1322
0 votes RE: Video Games

The VR is meant to represent a detachment from reality, which is further reinforced in MGS4. 

If anything, the games themselves emphasize this. Being closer to "reality" clearly isn't treated as a quality ranking. Look at how much suffering comes from these supposedly authentic identities and roles: Olga, The Boss, Gray Fox, Mistral, and the various Snake protagonists all suffer because of the roles they've been given or the systems they're caught in.

And the memes point goes beyond MGS2. Naked Snake himself discusses the idea in Peace Walker, that things can be passed on through ideas rather than genes. Revengeance later brings that concept back through Monsoon. That's directly relevant to Raiden, whose entire story revolves around questioning what parts of his identity are actually his and what parts were constructed for him.

So I don't think the series is simply saying "real experience good, artificial experience bad." It repeatedly shows that supposedly authentic identities, traditions, memories, and roles can be constructed and destructive too.

That's why "Raiden is fake, Snake is real" is too simplistic for me. The series keeps asking what actually makes someone who they are. Raiden being shaped by VR, becoming a cyborg, or being emotionally different from Snake doesn't make him less legitimate. "Real" describes a relationship to reality. It doesn't automatically establish value.

last edit on 8/23/2026 4:31:23 AM
Posts: 4478
0 votes RE: Video Games

Saw the leaked footage from the Hack of GTA 6 and about to watch the netflix presentation which comes on now.

From what I've seen from the leaked footage, game looks nice. I especially liked how the club scene looked.

GTA 6 looks more like a 2nd life type of game. I'm expecting a record breaking launch in terms of dold units.

I'm not excited about this game, however GTA is the biggest game in history and I expect nothing less than spectacular.

Since this game is set to release on the PS5 I looked into what kind of PC would be required to run it.

16 GB RAM

RTX 3060

Of course the PC version might come sooner than later since the hack. But it's nice to know we don't need a $6,000 build if we wanted to run this.

Posts: 4478
0 votes RE: Video Games

Metroid was a game I played as a kid, wasn't too much into it, there were so many other games to try and video games were making a huge comeback in the 80's with the NES.

Super Metroid - 1994 ....Nailed it and is still great. This is my jam and I probably played it once every 3 years at the least. Saw impressive TAS speed runs and I played it the other day since I found a mod on youtube that translates this title for wide screen. 

If you know this game and going to check this video, I recommend seeing this from 21:10 where the runner goes into deadly territory without heat protection, kills Ridley, then escapes. Aside from that the whole damn run isn't human either. My personal record is 4-6 hours.  

Youtube algo brings me news about the upcoming Metroid Title for 2027 Metroid Ravenous for Switch 2. 

I saw a preview of the last Metroid game on the Switch, and it looked like shit.... But Metroid Ravenous ? Yo. It's a beefier version of Super Metroid. 

Nice. This is how Metroid is meant to be played, side scroller. Someone is getting a Switch 2. ( Not until this and Zelda OOT remake comes out though ) 

So I'm reading more about this and it's said to be the 2nd part of "Metroid Dread" and how this trailer caused Metroid Dread sales to skyrocket.

So I check out Metroid Dread which came out in 2021. 

So Metroid Ravenous 2027.... is like Metroid Dread 2021. If I saw this before I so would've so I don't mind if I do now. 

Posted Image

This is by far the hardest Metroid game I die a lot. This adds the element of fear, I'm afraid to go in some areas cause there's this machine we cannot kill and it's hunting us using radar so when we move within it's monitoring range it will come and when it sees us it will chase us down. If it catches us we have 1 shot to stun it and how it's done is RNG so most likely we're dead when it gets us. 

So far I see when we kill bosses we get some kind of upgrade to the cannon, and we can then kill the hunting machine, I killed 2 of them so far then the weapon enhancement goes offline and they're unbeatable again.

Solving this game without any guides, very difficult, I like it. My first triple A game in 7 years I think.  

 

Posts: 35758
0 votes RE: Video Games

Metroid's good shit, I can tell even with little personal experience with it. It's on my list of stuff to do. 

Ę̵̚x̸͎̾i̴͚̽s̵̻͐t̷͐ͅe̷̯͠n̴̤̚t̵̻̅i̵͉̿a̴̮͊l̵͍̂ ̴̹̕D̵̤̀e̸͓͂t̵̢͂e̴͕̓c̸̗̄t̴̗̿ï̶̪v̷̲̍é̵͔
Posts: 4478
0 votes RE: Video Games

Metroid's good shit, I can tell even with little personal experience with it. It's on my list of stuff to do. 

 Start with Super Metroid, and do not use that particular speed run I showcased as a refernce guild, the runner does the bosses in reverse order which is something only freaks can do. To an untrained eye he's simply moving fast, but some of the things the runner does to get by requires retarded accuracy. Like how he got the first energy tank. I read how to do it and it's so hard I'm better off coming back for it when I have the high jump boots, and I'm good at this game. The runner doing the water stage without gravity suit is another retarded thing. They way he keeps momentum without the suit leaves no space for error. While that run is tool assisted there are speed runners who can play close to that.

In the fire stage he performed 2 bomb heals. In the process of ripping through that stage he legit had to farm for missiles and super missiles before it was time to do it again or else death.

Super Metroid and Mario 64 are two of the most insane speed runs of all games, I think Mario 64 is harder to set records since those runs require playing it from odd camera angles with an analog stick.

Play Super Metroid (Metroid 3) normally and you'll love it. It's not as scarry as Metroid 2 which might not appeal since it's a gameboy rom. Also practice how to perform wall jumps, hard at first but when mastered you can scale a wall no matter how big it is.

Metroid Prime on Gamecube was okay I don't really remember it well. Metroid Prime 4 came out thus year and no one seems to like it. No interest either.

There are a lot of Metroid games I skipped. 

Metroid Dread is fun, but despite it's difficulty and from what I've seen, Super Metroid will remain the more impressive speed run based on control scheme.

Posts: 35758
0 votes RE: Video Games

At this point I'm just cycling between Katamari and Tekken, I could use something refreshing. 

Metroid it is. 

Ę̵̚x̸͎̾i̴͚̽s̵̻͐t̷͐ͅe̷̯͠n̴̤̚t̵̻̅i̵͉̿a̴̮͊l̵͍̂ ̴̹̕D̵̤̀e̸͓͂t̵̢͂e̴͕̓c̸̗̄t̴̗̿ï̶̪v̷̲̍é̵͔
Posts: 5118
0 votes RE: Video Games

I have rotated a few different games lately, but have currently focused on a very sinful "Black Book" run to see what it's like.  It's a fun little deck-builder, with witchy vibes and a lot of traditional Russian and Eastern European folklore and atmosphere.

Also, Control: Resonance just released and I will probably dive into that for a while.

Then I will circle back to some Katamari and Palworld.  I might revisit some other games that have gone through updates, like No Man's Sky, in the near future.

I don't feel super settled and that's fine.  Haven't really gotten obsessed with a game, though Black Book has captured my attention for the interim.

Thrall to the Wire of Self-Excited Circuit.
Posts: 5118
0 votes RE: Video Games

At this point I'm just cycling between Katamari and Tekken, I could use something refreshing. 

Metroid it is. 

 Let us know how you play and which one you play. >_>  I would assume an emulator?

Thrall to the Wire of Self-Excited Circuit.
Posts: 4478
0 votes RE: Video Games

At this point I'm just cycling between Katamari and Tekken, I could use something refreshing. 

Metroid it is. 

 Let us know how you play and which one you play. >_>  I would assume an emulator?

 I sometimes wonder what kind of hardware he uses. I'm guessing he has an old laptop 4 to 8 GB DDR2 RAM or older. Windows XP or Windows 7. Could be something newer running Windows 10. 

In Canada it's not widely talked about but over here things like downloading media is considered file sharing, but also the downloader is not all that accountable for acquiring pirated content from a pirate, while the pirate is guilty. It's all a matter of distribution.  

.

.

.

I'm only 8 hours into Metroid Dread no rush. I don't play games as much as I used to. There's a lot of buzz surrounding the Zelda franchise, and while I'm playing Switch games I looked around for other Switch games I'd like, and there aren't really many. I wanted The Legend of Zelda: Wind waker HD. I own the original on the gamecube ( Timeless game, cell shading for the win )

This is the gamecube version.

Notice the resolution is made for square shaped CRT screens, the HD version give us the aspect ratio common for modern screens and they slightly tweaked the visual.

In the early 2000's the appearance of Wind Waker was polarizing. In that era people wanted the next big game to look real, or they wanted Zelda to look like a tech demo showcasing what Zelda could look like on the Gamecube. Instead Nintendo put this out and... I loved it. I must've beat this game 3 times. 

It's a magic game. The way its animated, and at the time I believe it was the first time toon shaders came out in gaming or to say the least, done on a next level. I'm telling you cell shaded games are timeless. It's more appealing. Yes it's impressive when games look super realistic, but that'll start to get boring. I never played all Zelda games, but I reckon this one is underrated and in a 100 years from now Wind Waker will be a diamond in the rough for future generations who live in a world where computer entertainment is to a point people will choose to live in them. They'll come across this and give it higher ratings than we did.  

Switch does not have Wind Waker HD as I heard it has issues emulating some gamecube games, Switch 2 can do it though. I just used the CEMU Emulator to run it Wind Waker HD, it runs beautifully.

This site contains NSFW material. To view and use this site, you must be 18+ years of age.