Message Turncoat in a DM to get moderator attention

Users Online(? lurkers):
3 posts
0 votes

Anyone else waste hours mocking up a visual before building it?


Posts: 1

Been sitting on a side project idea for weeks and kept getting stuck at the same wall: I know what I want the final graphic, product shot or storyboard frame to look like in my head, but I don't want to spend two hours in an editor just to test whether the idea even works visually. Anyone else run into this?

What's worked for me is treating the first pass as disposable. Instead of opening a full design tool and committing to layers, fonts and exact placement, I write the scene out in plain language first - subject, setting, mood, maybe one reference object I want kept consistent across a few variations. Then I generate rough versions fast, look at five or six side by side, and only then decide which direction is worth the real time investment. Saves me from falling in love with an idea that looks bad the second it is actually rendered.

For that rough-draft stage something like Nano Banana 2 Lite fits - a third-party AI image site (not something official from Google or DeepMind, just built on that kind of tech) aimed at throwing prompts and reference objects at it to get quick concept variations for mockups, ads or storyboard panels. Useful for exploring direction, not for final output.

Limitation worth knowing: none of these tools nail small text, exact brand colours or fine product details on the first try, so don't skip your actual design pass - this is for deciding WHAT to build, not building it. Treat it like a sketchpad, not a print shop.

Curious whether anyone else has a workflow for killing bad ideas before they eat a whole weekend.

Posts: 35732
0 votes RE: Anyone else waste hours mocking up a visual before building it?

I tend to use words I've used in past prompts to try to recreate elements that worked before. It almost feels linguistically synesthesiac in how you can throw words at it with an implied weight towards the final product, like the randomization becomes more steered like a verbal paintbrush. 

It lent to hours wasted fucking around with it, but in the long run the prompt writing translated into the medium. Now I can imagine what sorts of words I might have used to try to recreate an AI image another person made. 

Look up film and painting terms, stuff like rule of thirds and depth of field make for amazing results in the final product when compared to not adding it to the prompt at all. Even just knowing the names of artists in history can lend to some interesting results. 

Ę̵̚x̸͎̾i̴͚̽s̵̻͐t̷͐ͅe̷̯͠n̴̤̚t̵̻̅i̵͉̿a̴̮͊l̵͍̂ ̴̹̕D̵̤̀e̸͓͂t̵̢͂e̴͕̓c̸̗̄t̴̗̿ï̶̪v̷̲̍é̵͔
last edit on 9/29/2026 11:31:08 AM
Posts: 2677
0 votes RE: Anyone else waste hours mocking up a visual before building it?

this is what this thread reminded me of.

3 posts
This site contains NSFW material. To view and use this site, you must be 18+ years of age.